Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lani's Mid-week Update

Bear Sighting:
Running on the rails-to-trails behind our house, between RT 20 and Copperhill Rd in Granby, around 11:00 am this past Sunday. A momma bear and three little cubs sauntered right into the trail ahead of me. Waited about 7 scary minutes before they decided to take off.

Training:
Following the RW NYC marathon training program. Tonight's workout was 5 miles of hill running, which I completed after a good 12 hr workday, legs tired from biking yesterday too. I guess what does not kill me will make me stronger!

Health:
Mine- not so good. Endocrine appt last week, my thyroid blood test was about 10 x worse than a normal person's. Looking at the results was stunning, can't believe I've managed to work 60+ hours a week, train and complete a half ironman race, ect. on half of one cylinder...hope the new meds help (soon!)

Racing:
Sea Legs Shuffle 10 miler on Sunday, will be my first racing with the team. Hope I don't let them down given the above medical issues. I guess if I don't run well, they can toss me into the Atlantic.

Brickyarders:
Lee will be gone, ? Rose still in Italy. Mary and I plan to run an easy 5 on Saturday.

Hartford Marathon, or half marathon:
Still not sure what to do, run it so many times that I don't think it would feel right if I skipped it. My training program actually calls for a 22 mile run that weekend, so I've been thinking..... But the MDI Marathon is the following Sunday....


NYC Marathon:
Can't wait, to hear the Cannon shot to start the race, "New York, New York" blaring from the loudspeakers as 40,000 people take off over the Verrazano Bridge, the crowds pulling you through Harlem; Brooklyn; the Bronx; Queens; and into Manhattan; past the life sized statue of Fred Lebow and into Central Park. Besides having my sister from Brooklyn there to cheer me on, my favorite part is emerging from the dark Queensboro Bridge- first a glimmer of daylight, then the distant sounds of the crowd on the streets below, and suddenly out of the tunnel and onto the exit ramp with a giant banner welcoming runners to Manhattan at last!

Boston Marathon:
Thinking about volunteering as medical staff for next year's race.

1 comment:

  1. I'll miss running Sea Legs Shuffle. Do well for your team. I have biked about 100 miles out here in Watkins Glen and will hopefully go long on the bike tomorrow with my brother-in-law. Take care of yourself Lani - don't overdo (or underdo). Have fun tomorrow with Mary and of course say "Hi" to her for me. Rose called Linda and me this morning. It was great to hear her voice. I told her about Torrington Road Race on August 8 and she's interested. Ocean Beach is the day before so it's a hard decision.
    Congrats on NYC. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete