Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Sunday, March 24, 2013

What Brickyarders did today



While Tray and Mike knocked off 32 and 24 @ Asta, Lea ran 10 in her neighborhood, Lee, Sri and Brent ran the Oleksak 1/2.

Lee did not run the first 8 or so particularly quickly or slowly (it's pretty much all up during the first 4 and pretty much down during the last 4). The first 4 was done at about 9's and the last 4 much quicker.

But the last 5 were another story. Run, walk, run, walk, run, walk, walk. Run, walk, walk, walk. Got to thinking about food and the gu when it showed up was a godsend. My average pace estimates for the race required recomputations until they got to a "can I even finish this?" The words of encouragement I like to give to struggling runners began to come to me, not from me. A probably about 5 year old girl was handing out kleenexes at about mile 11 and it was so unusual and so cute to do I knew the whole thing was worth it. I took some.

Not really sure what was going on but in a strange sort of way I enjoyed the trip. Running extremely slowly, surrounded by like minded athletes is inspiring. It took me 2 hours and 22 minutes to find the finish line. And the pasta meal.

I was a pretty boring passenger on the trip home.

There are good days. There are bad days. This was a good day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/288516583
 

1 comment:

  1. What an uplifting story! I really liked reading about the little girl with the Kleenex and "running ... with like-minded runners" Sounds like the day was exactly as it needed to be -- and one of possible deep reflection. Sometimes words just graze the surface of such things. You have so many great friends. I'm feeling glad to be a part of this group :)

    ReplyDelete