Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Conard High School Track

This was taken from Fleet Feet owner Steph's newsletter. I was going anyway but now I am especially motivated to go.



A few weeks ago, I needed a little inspiration. My running was in a slump and the challenges of running a business were more stressful than usual. The days blended together, each not very different from the rest. I needed a reminder that I was the captain of my life.  A reminder to seize the day, make my life extraordinary and let out the occasional barbaric YAWP!  I needed a refresher from Professor Keating and the Dead Poets Society.

The movie invigorated me just as it did 25 years ago when I watched it in the theater the day after graduating from high school.  The movie's theme of Carpe Diem became my mantra and life's guiding force.  Whenever I'm in a tough situation, I am reminded to look at things a different way.  The movie made me believe that words and ideas can really change the world - and that those words and ideas need to come from regular people like you and me.

I was saddened by the news of Robin Williams' death yesterday.  To me he will always be Professor Keating - as well as an alien named Mork, a hysterical genie, a cross-dressing nanny and an army DJ in Vietnam.  I loved how he used his talent with words to infuse our world with humor and teach us to stand up for what we believe is right. 

I respect him even more knowing that while he was giving the world a reason to smile and laugh, he was dealing with the pain and demons created by depression.  He leaves us with a powerful reminder that we never know the pain others might be dealing with.  We must always choose to be kind to one another - and strive to live extraordinary lives.  In tribute to Robin Williams, stand on your desk (or kitchen table) and call out Oh Captain, my Captain!

In an act of kindness to give back to the running community who has supported him in victory and defeat (especially defeating depression last year), running legend Amby Burfoot, is coming to our track workout on Thursday, August 21 at the Conard High School track. 

From 6-6:30pm he will reveal his secrets for a lifetime of running from his book, "A Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life" and share stories of his running adventures which include winning the 1968 Boston Marathon, running 51 consecutive Manchester Road Races and sharing a dorm room and team bus with the likes of Bill Rodgers and Jeff Galloway in college. 

At 6:30pm he will guest coach our track workout.  Come run with a legend...and make your run extraordinary!

Live Fit,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment