Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Avon 5K

Congratulations to Lee, Rose, Mary!!

Lee accomplished his time goal, Rose placed, and Mary ran her first 5K ever, history was made this morning!!!

Another congratulations is in order to my mother, Nancy Ralston who returned to the roads after a 15 year hiatus. She skipped the popular Couch to 5K programs that are sweeping the nation, and just up and ran a 5K!!! I am so proud of her. She is talking about buying a new pair of running shoes, I think we've got another budding runner in the midst...

After the Brickyarder's 8 miler yesterday, I came home and did a 50+ mile bike ride (my Garmin battery died at the end so not sure how far it really was.)

I woke up this am SORE from my neck down. Ouch. I was determined to get my mom out for this 5K so I gutted it out anyway, and was basically hoping to get in a decently paced training run after a long ride. By mile 2 I felt like the proverbial animal that track runners speak of had jumped on my back. My arms, shoulders, and legs were drained. I ran a slow 24:30, and jogged back to mile 2 to re-run the last mile with my mom. It was so awesome to see her do this.

I felt in need of redemption after that 24:30, so I went for a 4 mile jog, then a 16 mile bike ride trying to keep my speed up around 17 miles per hour.

My training methods have been haphazard and un-scientific to say the least. Weekends have been rather Greg Lemond-ish: just beat your body down without any real plan and see what happens. Weekdays have found me sapped of strenght begging for mercy at the hospital, crying about all trials and tribulations of practing medicine without the perks. [Word to the wise, if you're thinking about being a mid-level: APRN, PA whatever, look before you leap!!]

This week, I am going to turn over a new leaf and jump in on week T-3 of an acutal half iron man training plan, then it's all about the MDI Half Marathon program.

Next week's challenge: Shamrock Duathlon, 5K Run/Bike ??distance/ 5KRun. It's an HMF event...I wonder what percentage of my income I give to Beth each year!!

Congrats Mary and Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment