Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Monday, May 10, 2010

Homemade Energy Gel

After this weekend's biking, running, and swimming I took Monday off of training--hoping to prevent burnout, overtraining, and injury.

I've been thinking about my energy needs during my upcoming Half Ironman attempt. Tri seems to require very different energy management than running, I think because it involves all three sports. During the race you really have to work hard to keep your heart rate low and your energy reserves high in a way that is actually supringsly foreign to me even after 18 full marathons.

Gels seem like a good solution, but truthfully they don't seem to be that natural. I can read through the ingredients on the package no problem, but then again my first undergraduate degree was in chemistry....

So here's a recipe I came up with, if it works in training I'll probably try to get some kind of cheap Fuel Belt knock-off to carry the stuff with me. I think it's a pretty good mix- the molasses provides the potassium and sugar, honey provides more sugar, and the nut butter some protein and fat. In the next batch I might add a little caffeine and some chia seeds (favorite of the Tamahumara running tribe--proabably not spelled right I know):

3 tbs of blackstrap molasses
2 tbs of honey
1 1/2 tbs sunflower seed butter, could use peanut butter or almond butter
1 tbs water
1 pinch of salt
If desired add chia seeds or caffeine.

Microwave the above for 30 seconds for easier mixing and pour into your Fuel Belt Flask. Refrigerate until needed. Enjoy on the run or bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment