Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fwd: Lunenberg 5k Report Before the Official Results



-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Lunenberg 5k Report Before the Official Results
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 17:59:28 -0400
From: Charles Bradley <charles0300@gmail.com>
To: Lee <bradley_lee_r@sbcglobal.net>


Hey Lee,

Had a good race.  The results are not up yet but I placed 2nd in the 65-69 category.  Not sure how many men were in my group yet
Wasn't many, but I felt good about my time - which was 23:15 (official).  The pace @ mile 1 was 7:07.  My overall pace was 7:30.

There was one guy (there's always one) who was old and breathing down my neck from the half-way point all the way to the end.  We had a major dual back and forth for much of the rest of the race.  He blew me away at the end but not by a whole lot.  I asked him his age after it was over and he said 71 (or 72).  He was really fast and (fortunately) was in an age group of his own!  The guy who did beat me really was way ahead!!  I never say him.

Felt strong the whole way.  There were some hills but it was pretty flat for the most part.  I felt good after it was over, but had it been longer, I would have likely died at mile 4.

There were very roughly 300 runners.  I came in 68th overall.  The winning time was 15 minutes and change!

I rode my bike 11.5 miles to the race which began at 12:30 PM
Got home at about 3:45 PM

Here are some pics

1:  me before race taken by a mom whos adopted son (show later) placed 1st in his 10-15 age group



2:  Fall trees on this 10/13/11 day.  View is looking away from the start and finish line.



3: Registration 



4: This was also a bike race for young kids.  These are the early finishers (below). This is the 10th annual race
and is in memory of a boy named Myles who got killed speeding in his car.  The parents raised enough money
from this race (getting huge sponsor support) to actually pay for the new high school football field and the track around it)
In the bike race (and on the hardware shown later) it is stressed NOT to go fast and to enjoy a no-timed event with your friends.
The local police are pacers on THEIR bikes and they talk to the kids about the course, etc, before the gun goes off.
Lots of parent also ride with their kids.  Very fun and NO speeding!  Only in the 5k fun run later.



5:  Actually THESE are the first bikers coming in below.  I think they went 3.1 miles also.



6:  Judy Kangas (in blue) receives her 1st place award for 60-65.  She and I chatted a lot before
the race.  Her husband Jim and I met first.  He is more a biker than a runner although he ran several marathons
around 1981 to 1985.  He and his wife and I hung out for most of the post race activities.  Jim took this picture of his wife with my camera but my batteries did bot have enough energy for him to take my picture as I received my 2nd place coffee mug.
We all exchanged emails addresses.  Jim pulled a calf in this race, but it was not a bad pull.  Judy will be doing a 5-miler on Sunday, Nov. 20th in Fitchburg, MA - The Slattery's 31st Annual Turkey Trot.  I may do it too.  Haven't decided yet.  This MAY be a Central Mass Striders event.



7:  Lots of food afterward



8:  My "trophy" for placing 2nd.  Yippee.



9:  Rear view of hardware -



Have a good weekend!
Chip

10-23-2011




3 comments:

  1. Chip, good to hear from ya! Congrats on an awesome 5K time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chip's overall pace was 7:29 per mile. The official results put him in the Men 60-98 division.

    Results - Men 60-98

    1 Lennox, Scott 65 Hopkinton,MA 22:05.5
    2 Bradley, Charles 62 Ayer, MA 23:15.3
    3 Molloy, Richard 70 Chelmsford, MA 23:41.1
    4 Desaulniers, Denis 61 Leominster, MA 25:57.0
    5 Clapp, Bruce 62 Stoneham, MA 26:48.9
    6 Blanco, Aldo 66 Leominster, MA 29:32.6
    7 Ryan, John 62 Clinton, MA 37:33.3
    8 Lyon, Robert 62 Lunenburg, MA 49:39.5
    9 Barbero, Jim 62 Lunenburg, MA 53:17.4
    10 Lashua, Herb 61 Westminster, MA 53:23.3
    11 Dorr, Larry 71 Kennebunk, ME 54:17.3
    12 Beck, Robert 64 Lunenburg, MA 55:53.6
    13 Block, Paul 60 Lunenburg, MA 56:02.6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, you beat me to it! Thanks for the posting of the results. Tracey, thanks for the compliments! I hope all is well with you. Let's see if I can put a link here into this comment... For full race results see:

    ReplyDelete