Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Saturday, May 14, 2011

New Balance and Vibram

Hello,  hope everyone is ready for the races in the am.  My beloved black and pink New Balance Minimus shoes are getting a bit ratty- ripped and worn from 5.5 months of use.  I went to the New Balance store in Avon today for a new pair, only to find that the enterire Minimus line has gone to a nylon mesh New Balance upper with a Vibram sole....the guys at the store convinced me they're the same shoes I've been wearing just an upgrade. Somewhat skeptical, I tried on some flats but it seems as if my foot could not tolerate the wedge like sole after these months of running in the Minimus.  NB is a good fit with my lifestyle, as they tend to use less leather and foriegn child labor--- and I have loved the Minimus line so far, so I decided to go for the upgraded model.

I went straight home, called Kathy Schultz and we went out for a  1 hour test run this evening @ MClean Game Refuge.  There really is not much difference from my old pair from what I can see so far.  Afterwards I went to the pool, and then the dry sauna, where I actually ran in place for 20 minutes at 163F in flip flops.  Another patron in there asked me if I was crazy, Yup, I said.

So,  I guess I've broken all of Dave and Lee's rules for setting yourself up to run a good 5K with running twice today, in a new pair of shoes, ect.  But I sure had fun!  We'll see how running with the Vibram soled shoes go....

4 comments:

  1. The rain held off long enough to make the running of the Avon 5K a pleasant and dry experience. About 330 runners participated including lots of kids. Dave and I won our divisions in about 21:36 and 26:36, respectively. Peter Hawley was there, and Bill Thramann was the overall winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you and Dave, Barbara - awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Complete results of Avon 5K 2011

    These are the people I know. Can you believe Bill Thramann's time? This is faster than Bill Rogers ran the Newington Library 5K 14 or 15 years ago!

    Super run, Dave and Barbara!

    1 257 Billy Thramann 18:23.3 5:56 M 50 M5059 Avon CT
    5 68 Mary-Lynn Currier 18:51.2 6:05 F 47 F4049 Canton CT
    31 349 David Condit 21:35.7 6:58 M 63 M6069 Avon CT
    40 313 Peter Hawley 22:15.2 7:10 M 61 M6069 New Hartford CT
    126 348 Babara Kream 26:36.7 8:34 F 63 F6069 Avon CT

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woopsie! Not sure what I was thinking but Bill Rogers ran a 16+ 5K and Bill Thramann ran an 18+ 5K. For some reason I think I thought Thramann ran a 15+ 5K. I cannot resist ... this is only *very* marginally related, but here is a brain teaser for you.

    What's the next "character" in the sequence you see when you visit

    Professor Provolone's Picto-Puzzle

    ReplyDelete