Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Update

Welcome Brent, and welcome back Kelsey. Sounds like everyone had a great run today, sorry to have missed it. Glad to hear things are moving along for Hogsback.
Today we rode over the IMLP bike course and went running afterwards. I had a truly epic experience. It involved doing the 7 mile dropoff descent (ave speed over 50 mph) into Keene- with traffic; in the rain; on roads that have not been swept from winter yet. This was followed by a real life RoadID experience when another rider was thrown off his bike by the poor road conditions, he passed out and had apparently broken some bones. His RoadID came in handy, we were able to call his wife. I lost my Ocean State Job Lot jacket in the process of rendering medical assistance as it went off the hospital with this poor fellow. Then I got lost, missed the aide station with the bags we had packed for ourselves. Had to go to a store, get some Powerade and regroup. Figured out how to get back to the Olympic arena for the start of lap 2. The descent was much more dramatic this time around as I had managed to break my derailer and could not shift properly. Then I flatted and got a fishhook stuck in my tire (back wheel of course). Then somehow the valve stem broke, but as the tire seemed to be holding air I proceeded on with the 17 mile climb back into Lake Placid. Could not believe I made it after all the stuff that happened.
It was a slow ride, and I often thought of quitting the ride and triathlon altogether. Then I remembered it's not about speed, place, fancy equipment, ect.. It's about overcoming fears and obstacles. 3 years ago, I was petrified to even get on a bike after an accident and had no idea how to swim...Will I finish or DNF this race, who knows. But I decided the operative part of the word Triathlon is Tri (think Try), and kept going today.

So we're off again in the morning with a 20 mile run.

Finally, my public service announcement for the day is don't go for a run in minimalist footwear after riding over a hundred miles in the rain. Little pebbles seem like large rocks.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Lani
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment