Race Pace

Miles : Hours Minutes Seconds Pace :
 

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Performance Products

Hi All, this post comes at the suggestion of Mama Rose.

As runners, from time to time I guess we are all concerned about performance- could be a completion goal, time goal, race goal ect. That's the great part about this sport, there is always some new way to challenge yourself.

Mama Rose, for example, has just returned from Bed, Bath, and Beyond with performance bed sheets, guaranteed to bring down your 5K time by at least a minute if not more.
Lee is trying out some new plans and track workouts, courtesy of Brad Hudson, as well as dabbling in minimalist footwear. Tracy is anxiously awaiting the arrival of chia seeds from Amazon (that's amazon dot com not the Amazon) so we'll probably see her sprinting past us in her Super HI Brite shoes like she was Born To Run anytime now. Mary's got a little cross training action going on over there, with weekly swimming workouts and her stair routine. Not sure what Barb and Dave are doing at present, but we'd love to hear from our resident research scientist and her super fast husband on this matter. And, any thoughts from Judy? I am currently working with a foam roller, which seems to be stretching out my "hammies" nicely (Eddie should have had one of these things). I am also starting in a new product test for Gatorade, just got the delivery today. It's still in the research stage- no name, and in chewable tablet form at this point. It contains an ingredient called Quercitin which is supposed to make you super fast. I have to write a weekly review of the product for about 2 months. We'll see what happens. My other items for this weekend's trip include Slime tubes, a hot head, and my trusty heart rate monitor. It would be great if everyone could update the group about how these things are working for them in training and racing.

Peter and I are heading out to the West Hartford Reservoir soon for the Thursday nite HTC trail run. Nope that's not a typo, that's Peter out of running retirement!

Hope everyone has a great run on Saturday. Please let anyone who is interested know that we are in the process of forming a jog/walk contingent to our Saturday morning group, hoping to enlist Marco, Peter, Linda, Mary and many more...

-Lani
If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

3 comments:

  1. Looks like Saturday is shaping up to be a well-attended event. Brent Stratton, maybe Kathy Shultz and maybe Catherine Lyons, Tray, Judi(!), Momma Rose (I love saying that), Lani and I will be there. Who knows, maybe Mr. Cabral and/or Ken Owen will grace our gathering! Lea's got a birthday this weekend and tells me she'll be too busy eating cake to come (I made the cake part up) but indicates she'll be able to come June 11, 18 and 25. I'll be running back to back 5Ks at the Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon on Sunday in Glastonbury, keeping Amanda, Judi's daughter, company (she's registered and will do all three parts, both 5Ks and the 28K bike ride). This is her first race since Annie Rose arrived on June 14, 2010. Not sure about Barbara and Dave but they've got a good "track record" so let's count on them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - LMAO about the chia seeds commentary. I did get them today and mixed a tablespoon into a glass of orange juice. It says to refrigerate overnight so I didn't try it yet. I have to tell you that it looks disgusting. Now I know why the author of "Born to Run" wrote, "it looked exactly like a kid had scooped the scum out of his aquarium."

    My quads are sore today and I had this great idea to go get the pool noodle out of the shed and use that as a foam roller. Why pay $13-$18? I'll keep you guys posted on the chia and the pool noodle outcome.

    Lani, have a great time at training camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woops. I forgot. Lani'll be away @ the FiremanIronman training camp this weekend, so she'll not be at Brickyard. While we do from 8.5 to 14 give or take she'll be doing a distance swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 32 miles of running.

    PS

    Missed you Mary at Newington and hope you are feeling better. I cast my vote for you to come to Brickyard. We need a Lani stand-in and you have all the right stuff.

    ReplyDelete